Nadal pulls out of Buenos Aires because of illness

Share article
3 photos

FILE - In this Jan. 26, 2014, file photo, Rafael Nadal of Spain grimaces as he receives a medical treatment to his back in the men\'s singles final against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia. Nadal had stem cell treatment in 2014 to help his ailing back but hasn’t endorsed the procedure.(AP Photo/Andrew Brownbill, File)

i

MADRID (AP) — Rafael Nadal will miss next week's ATP tournament in Buenos Aires after a stomach virus set back his return from a back injury sustained at the Australian Open.

The world's top-ranked player says on "Thursday morning a stomach virus kept me from training, so my entire schedule has been delayed." Nadal says the delay, coupled with the tournament starting on Monday, led to his withdrawal.

In Thursday's video message, Nadal did not speculate on whether he will play at the following tournaments in Rio de Janeiro, Indian Wells and Miami.

Nadal had been making steady progress in his recovery from the back injury, which contributed to his loss to Stanislas Wawrinka in the final in Melbourne.

 
 
 

Advertisement

Comments